The Chinese in Me

There were countless moments when people had spoken to me in Chinese before realizing me a Malay. True, dont judge a book by its cover, as me look more like Ma than Pa.

Look could be deceiving, me Chinese"ness" may not be that much left but in me there still blood flowing from Ma's descendants which could never be drained dry. This fact could not be easily ignored as it has been coded in me DNA even though me is officially a Malay.

The one thing that is obvious, me seems to be always thinking in a different perspective (at least that's what me think!) from the rest of the Malay crowd. Further, if Malays love entertainment and the easy frivolous life, these were missing from me. If Malays desire to be bosses and rule the crowd, this desire was not there in me. If Malay folks like to work for others, me love to work for me self.

There was not a moment in me life when the "Chinese in me" had not goaded me to be aware of the trappings of an easy life and losing the independent spirit in me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment